The Deutschlandjahr campaign focuses on dialogue, exchange, and cooperation between people and cultures, with the aim of establishing and expanding networks. The campaign is meant to demonstrate the areas in which Germany and the host country complement one another and can work together as partners towards resolving important challenges in the future.
The campaign aims to convey a multifaceted image of Germany in the host countries. All areas relevant to society – from business and industry, science, education, culture, politics, civil society, to sports – should be considered. Significant visibility will be achieved by consolidating activities and stakeholders, as well as through public, high-profile formats and targeted media efforts.
Germany and the United States are bound by a centuries-long common history. German immigrants have helped shape the development of the United States, while the successful development of post-war Germany is inextricably linked to US engagement. The Deutschlandjahr USA 2018/19 campaign builds on this success story and aims to strengthen the transatlantic dialogue.
The Deutschlandjahr USA 2018/19 begins on October 3, 2018, and continues until the end of 2019. The application period for projects requesting funding has ended. Applications can still be submitted for projects that are already fully funded by the applicant and/or third parties.
The Deutschlandjahr aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Objective 1: Make modern-day Germany accessible on an emotional level
- Objective 2: Emphasize similarities between the two countries and highlight existing structures of cooperation
- Objective 3: Develop and reach out to new target groups nationwide
- Objective 4: Expand partnerships in order to resolve future global issues
The Deutschlandjahr USA 2018/19 campaign should be broadly inclusive, and, among others, should reach the following groups:
- Decision-makers and important, established, and potential partners in civil society, politics, business and industry, culture, media, science, and education
- People with little previous knowledge of Germany
- People outside of major cities and people living in the American heartland and suburbs
- Young people (youth, students, young professionals, and influencers, including those in the media)
- Americans with German roots or close ties to Germany
In particular we are seeking project proposals that...
- develop and reach out to new groups nationwide and in non-urban areas (particularly in the Southeast, the Rocky Mountain region, the Southwest, and the Midwest).
- are oriented toward the central themes, target groups, and objectives of the Deutschlandjahr.
- leverage partnerships and are planned together between German and American partners/institutions.
- exhibit unusual or extraordinary ideas.
- take advantage of digital media.
- will have a strong public impact and are highly visible.
- are designed to have a lasting and extensive impact.
To appeal to these target groups, the campaign will focus on the following formats:
- Localized formats firmly established in a number of cities which link into existing networks and build new ones
- Formats involving mobile elements (such as roadshows and mobile stages) that are also able to reach target groups beyond large cities
- Stage shows, performances, and mobile exhibits using the existing infrastructure of our planned Pop-Up Tour
- Digital and media formats, with online outreach, social media, and traditional media as key components
The themes of the Deutschlandjahr USA 2018/19 should be fundamentally aligned with the interests of the campaign's target groups in the United States. Wherever possible, projects should be developed and drawn up with American partners. We particularly welcome project submissions relating to the following themes:
- Energy, climate, and sustainability
- Research, science, and education
- Freedom, diversity, and leadership
- Digitization, innovation, and the future of work
- German heritage and German language
- Culture and lifestyle
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor of the Deutschlandjahr USA 2018/19 campaign or wish to participate as a business, please contact Julia Howald of the Federation of German Industries (BDI) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only complete applications submitted through our online application system can be considered.
Click on NEXT to apply.
Team Deutschlandjahr USA
Tel.: +1 202 851-3300